Disease and Illnesses of dogs – Arthritis in Dogs – Cimalgex
What is Cimalgex?
Cimalgex is a drug manufactured by Vetoquinol and it contains the active ingredient cimicoxib. Cimalgex is used as an anti inflammatory drug, the active ingredient cimicoxib is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. Cimalgex comes as chewable tablets which can be divided. Cimalgex is a prescription only drug which means it can only be obtained from your vet or with a prescription from them.
What is Cimalgex used for?
Cimalgex is used to control pain, specifically the pain associated with osteoarthritis in dogs but it is also used to control pain associated with surgery and can be used before and after surgical procedures. The active ingredient, cimicoxib will act to reduce pain and swelling associated with arthritis and surgical procedures.
- Cimalgex is for use in dogs only
- Cimalgex comes in a chewable tablet form
- Cimalgex tablets can be divided into halves for ease of administration
- Cimalgex comes in foil blister packs
- Cimalgex tablets come in various strengths for different sized dogs
- Cimalgex cannot be combined with all drugs so tell your vet if your dog is taking other medications
- If you suspect any side effects from Cimalgex then contact your vet for advice
- Keep Cimalgex out of reach of children and animals
- Regular monitoring of your pet is needed whilst taking Cimalgex
Side effects of Cimalgex
- Cimalgex administration can result in side effects that are usually mild and transient
- The most common side effects of Cimalgex are vomiting and diarrhoea
- Other side effects of Cimalgex can be anorexia and lethargy
- In rare cases, Cimalgex may cause bleeding in the gut or ulcers
- If you see persistent vomiting and diarrhoea or weight loss then stop the Cimalgex
- Kidney parameters should be regularly monitored in animals on long term Cimalgex
- An overdose of Cimalgex may result in severe gut signs or kidney disease
- If you suspect an overdose of Cimalgex then contact your vet immediately
- Care should be taken when giving Cimalgex to dehydrated animal or animals with heart or liver disease
Dosage and Administration of Cimalgex
- Cimllgex is given orally as a tablet
- Cimalgex is given once a day
- Cimalgex is given in short courses of 3-7 days for perioperative pain
- Cimalgex is given daily long term to control pain associated with arthritis
- Cimalgex tablets are chewable and can be divided into halves
- Cimalgex should not be used in puppies under 10 weeks of age
- Cimalgex should be used with care in animals under 6 months of age
- Cimalgex should not be used in pregnant or lactating animals or those intended for breeding
Further Information about Cimalgex
Cimalgex is manufactured by Vetoquinol and contains the active ingredient cimicoxib. Cimicoxib is a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug so Cimalgex is used as pain relief both short term for pain and inflammation associated with surgical procedures and also long term to control the pain and inflammation of osteoarthritis.
The active ingredient in Cimalgex, cimicoxib, is a selective COX-2 inhibitor. This means that it blocks the pathways that result in the formation of inflammatory mediators which reduces inflammation and pain. The advantage of Cimalgex over older non steroidal drugs is that they are COX-2 selective. Some older non steroidals also block the COX-1 pathway and this actually forms compounds that are protective to the gut and kidneys and it is this that causes the main side effect of these drugs so COX-2 selective non steroidal drugs have fewer side effects.
Cimalgex can have some side effects although these are usually mild and temporary. The main side effects that can be seen are vomiting and diarrhoea and more rarely anorexia and lethargy. If persistent vomiting and diarrhoea or weight loss are seen then stop the medication and contact your vet for advice. Cimalgex should be used with care in animals under 6 months old or animals who are dehydrated or suffer from pre existing kidney, liver or heart disease. Cimalgex should be avoided in animals under 10 weeks old, animals that are pregnant or lactating and animals already taking steroids or other non steroidal drugs at the same time.
Further Information about Dosage and Administration
Cimalgex is given as an oblong, white/brown, chewable tablet, once daily. Cimalgex can be given with or without food. Cimalgex tablets are flavoured and are scored so they can be divided for ease of administration. Half tablets, when broken, can be stored for up to two days before they need to be discarded. Cimalgex come as three sized tablets, 8mg, 30mg and 80mg tablets. These come in blister packs of either 8, 32 or 144 tablets or in a bottle of 45 tablets.
When Cimalgex is being used to control pain associated with surgical procedures, a dose is usually given 2 hours prior to the surgery and then for 3-7 days post surgery. If Cimalgex is being used in cases of osteoarthritis then it is usually used for 6 months and then if the desired pain relief is not being achieved it is stopped. If it is controlling the pain and inflammation of arthritis then Cimalgex can be used for longer than 6 months but at this stage, regular monitoring of the kidneys and liver is advised.
The table below shows which sized Cimalgex tablets are required by various sizes of dog: